Tuesday, May 31, 2011

lessons learn(ing).

Definitely not lessons learned. For I'm afraid I am a forever messy, complicated work in progress. But, really, aren't we all?

(Someone please say yes.)

No, these are most certainly not lessons I've already achieved, overcome and moved on from. They are simply little tidbits into this ongoing process of life overseas, as a sinner saved by grace, who continually stumbles, falls, laughs quite a bit at herself and then, by the grace of God, starts again.

These are my lessons learn(ing).

I am learning patience. Everyone who knows me is now saying to themselves, "Thank you, God!" It's no secret that patience is something I often lack. (It's my mother's fault, really.) I hate waiting, I hate traffic, I hate lines. I hate how I still don't know Thai (shouldn't 2 months of studying do the trick?), I hate how we ordered a desk 3 months ago and it still isn't finished, and I hate that mail takes 2 to 3 weeks to get here. But alas, I am learning. And I am learning that being in a hurry doesn't make things go faster and it doesn't necessarily make life more productive. Impatience simply breeds anxiety, fear, discouragement and failure. Patience creates peace, grace, confidence and faith. I am, and forever will be, learning patience.

I am learning that I still don't like vegetables. It's a lost cause, really. I came to Thailand with an open mind, to try new things, and to start liking vegetables. However, the hatred still remains. And I think our lunch guy at the market is starting to get the hint. Every day I return my plate to him with all the vegetables pushed to the side. Slowly but surely, he has put less and less veggies in my stir fry. Bless his heart. I love that he is learning that I still don't like vegetables.

I am learning how to be a 3 year old again. With knowing around 1,000 Thai words, my speech pathologist friend told me that I have now advanced to talking like a 3 year old. Woohoo. I am really starting to feel for all the 3 year old's out there. You want so badly to be able to communicate, yet the words just aren't there. And even when you do venture out and use the few words that you know, people just laugh and think it's "cute". Did I say the wrong word? Is my accent incomprehensible? Or are you just mean-spirited? Steven and I have succumbed to a lot of hand motions and simple statements. "I want the red cup." "I like bread." "I am from America. Yes, I know I look Thai, but I am Japanese...well, I don't speak Japanese and no, my grandparents have never lived in Japan...but I do speak Spanish...and English...and now I am learning Thai." Okay, so maybe we are doing a little better than I give ourselves credit for, but nevertheless, I am learning how to redefine my definition of communication.

I am learning how to be a team player. Our marriage has never felt like more of a team effort than it does now. We do everything together. Eat, go to class, study, ride the motorcycle, run errands, go on dates, watch TV, read, etc. We've spent more time together in these last 4 months than we have in our entire marriage previous to Thailand. And while sometimes we start picking at each other like brother and sister, for the most part, our marriage has never been better. There's something about working together towards a common goal that has uniquely united us. It takes the will out of fighting against one another and pushes us towards grace and encouragement. If I fail, we fail. If Steven has a good day, we have a good day. I have loved learning how to be one with my husband.

I am learning how to do nothing. Maybe the hardest lesson of them all. But there have been days where I have been depressed from the lack of activity and interaction in my life. As someone who prided herself on being busy and social, this whole "studying language all day" approach has really challenged me. Throw in the fact that we are living on support for the first time and the self induced pressure to be doing something worthwhile. It's a recipe for a major identity crisis. I am having to remind myself daily that it is not what I do that makes me valuable. It is who I am and who I belong to. My worth is in knowing Jesus Christ and being known by Him. Nothing more, nothing less. And somewhere in the midst of all this, I know that studying hard and taking time to learn Thai is God-honoring, God-exalting, Kingdom work. It just doesn't feel and look so glamorous to the me or the outside world. I am learning how to live for an Audience of One.

I am learning that I am not a Superhero. Crossing the ocean and calling myself a missionary has not given me any special powers. (And as funny as that sounds, I kind of thought it would...) But to my dismay, my flesh still remains. I still struggle with spending time in the Word every day. I still get impatient, snippy, and prideful. I still find myself reaching for the American dream. I still have a hard time trusting God. I still want control, I still miss home, and I still can't believe I am in Thailand. I am no more godly just because I am here. I am still me, with all my imperfections, just trying to live out the Gospel in a different place. I am learning that it's not my title change that changes who I am.

It's allowing God to keep teaching me the lessons He wants me to be learning.

1 comment: