And then it came to me.
Hesed.
I first heard the word in my Old Testament class. Our teacher was encouraging us to pursue it, to fight for its presence in our lives. I was intrigued.
Hesed. It's all over the Bible. 245 times to be exact. Who knew? Turns out its the Hebrew word for "lovingkindness". But it's more than that, so much more. It’s not just some soft, romantic word to throw around--it's a word that is intricately woven with the character of God. Hesed. The consistent, ever-faithful, relentless, constantly-pursuing, lavish, extravagant, unrestrained, furious love of our Father God. Woa, this is worth some deeper investigation.
Hesed. It extends even further. It's grace. It's mercy. It's goodness. It involves intervening on behalf of the suffering, the poor and the lonely. It embraces an active interest and concern for the well-being of others. Again, a defining characteristic of our God. I am humbled to say that I have been redeemed through this hesed of God.
Hesed. It’s grounded in loyalty and truth. It’s how God works with us—His covenant with me through a raw, authentic and mutual relationship. This means that despite my faults, my inadequacies, my sin, God still invites me to His throne of grace. In a world that is filled with unfaithfulness, lies and deception, I want to fight and work for hesed to be known again.
God's ultimate act of hesed: 1 John 4:9 "In this the love (hesed) of God was made manifest among us, that God sent His only Son into the world, so that we might live through Him. In this is love (hesed), not that we have loved God but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins." Recap. We did nothing to deserve such hesed from God. Yet, in His infinite mercy and love, God sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to bear the sins of the world and pay the price for us all in order that we may be reconciled back to Him. This is the Gospel. This is the hope I cling to. This. Changes. Everything.
God is hesed. --> Jesus is hesed. --> We need to be hesed.
And so this blog begins. Nothing more than a mere reminder to be pursuing such opportunities in my life--hesed toward God and toward others, the way it has been so freely extended to me. Not for my own glory or self-worth, but because I am a daughter of the sacrificial King who has led the way.
I'm honored to be your very first blog comment. What a lovely beginning Lauren! Enjoy being yourself here b/c that's what 'we' want! All my love, Megan
ReplyDeleteBeautiful beginning Laur.....you continue to inspire me every day!! Love you lots,
ReplyDeleteMom
Tree stump huh? Mine means Ball. Lauren Tree Stump Sauder and Katherine Ball Nomura. Awesome, parents.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to follow this blog!!! I love it already. Love you!!!
Lauren, Dear............WOW, thanks for introducing me to the word, Hesed!! Your blog will be amazing cuz God has given you an incredible gift of expressing yourself thru words. Thanks for sharing, and I will love following it. So proud of you! Love you, Mom Sauder
ReplyDeleteI read it.
ReplyDelete