Besides, what if my questions just lead to more questions? Or the answers lead to something I don't want to know? Will my foundation be shaken?
Ya, I don't really need answers. I'm okay with the whole "living by faith" thing. That's what the godly do anyway, right?
Plus, who am I? I'm no theologian, no biblical scholar, no expert. I don't know all that I should or even all that I want. There's gotta be someone else--someone smarter, someone braver, someone better to do it.
I don't have to deal with it, do I?
...SIGH...I think I do. Deep down, I know God wants me to wrestle with these questions. I know He doesn't want me to turn off my brain in order to follow Him. I know He is inviting me to know Him deeper, pursue wisdom and grow in my faith.
I know God wants me to deal with it.
So, with no more excuses (but with a little kicking and screaming), I'm diving in. Here goes nothing....
Question 1: Was the earthquake God's judgment on Haiti?
It's one of the big questions I've been asking myself these past couple of weeks. It's a question that comes up in my mind, heart and soul every year or so when another disaster hits. It's scary to say it out-loud, to admit that I question God's role in it all. But there it is, waiting to be dealt with.
I've heard many Christians answer with a resounding YES. This answer, their answer, kind of makes me sick. Or at least it makes me squirm a little. While I don't necessarily disagree with their opinion, I strongly dislike how they make it seem like a known fact. It's the way they answer so quickly, without much thought, like it's a simple question with a therefore simple answer. Is the sky blue? Yes. Was the earthquake God's judgment? Yes.
To me, it's not so easy. To me, it's not a 'yes' or 'no'. It's a maybe. (And that's not a cop-out. I promise.)
This is what I mean...
As hard as it is for me to say, I can't deny that the earthquake could have been an act of judgment by God. If I were to deny this, I would be neglecting the many times that God has used natural disasters as a form of judgment in the past. I would be ignoring characteristics and actions of God that are essential to His being. I would be creating my own god, fitting him into what I think he should be or do. It's me taking control, telling God that I know better than He does. That's dangerous.
Look at Noah & the Ark. It's not the happy story we've twisted it into. It's God's judgment on the wickedness of the people.
Genesis 6:11-13 "Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight, and the earth was filled with violence. And, God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth. And God said to Noah, 'I have determined to make an end of all flesh, for the earth is filled with violence through them. Behold, I will destroy them with the earth."If I believe the Bible, I must then believe that God has done this in the past and can continue to do so today.
And what about Sodom and Gomorrah?
Genesis 19:24-25 "Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah sulfur and fire from the Lord out of heaven. And He overthrew those cities, and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground."Seems to me that God isn't being shy about taking the credit for destroying the two cities. If He's taking the credit, I must give it to Him.
The truth is, I don't want to give it to Him. Plainly put, the thought of God causing the earthquake in Haiti just seems so mean to me. It doesn't seem like an act of God's hesed.
And this is what I was scared of. This is exactly the reason why I didn't want to deal with such questions.
So this is where I usually run away. Where I usually back off and just say "God, you're in control and I choose to still believe in You." I suppose that's not a bad thing in and of itself, but it is when I use it as a cop-out.
Deal with it, Lauren. Dig deeper.
Okay, let me just think about it for a second. Let me try and understand it in a tangible way. Again, here goes nothing...
To me, God's judgment can be seen to be a lot like a parent's punishment. Now, all you theologians out there, just chill. I'm not saying it's the same, I'm just saying that I see some similarities. Work with the analogy here. God is the parent and the world is the child. The world has rebelled and sinned against God, much like a child disobeys and sins against its parents. Now, would it be loving or even wise for the parents to never discipline their child? Discipline and punishment with consequences are often necessary. No one can argue that. It teaches, molds and guides--even though it doesn't seem very loving from the child's point of view.
I know this because whenever I got in trouble as a kid, I always wanted to blame my parents and feel sorry for myself when they punished me. They were the mean ones for not letting me get away with it. They were the ones that caused my misery. Instead of taking responsibility for my actions and asking for forgiveness, it was so much easier to blame...blame anyone but myself. And even when I knew my punishment was completely justified, being grounded still didn't seem like a very "loving" approach.
Sounds silly now, but isn't that how we kind of react to God? When we see something like the earthquake in Haiti, the world's initial response is not one of self reflection and repentance. It's one of projection, self pity and blame. We don't take responsibility. We don't ask ourselves what God could be trying to teach us through the mess, through this wake-up call. We don't turn back to God. We don't examine our sinfulness. We don't ask for forgiveness. We don't see it as a lot of things. And we certainly don't see it as a loving and necessary hesed act of God.
We don't because it's harder to swallow this way. This way, we have to come to the fact that we live in a fallen and sick world. A world that often deserves discipline. A world that sometimes deserves judgment. This way, we are the rebellious child that needs to be corrected, taught, and redirected. This way, we must admit that we only like serving a God who blesses. And we only want to love a God who gives. And gives. And gives. Give me a god who never rebukes, closes his eyes to my sin, and blesses me until I die, right?
Yes, I am still that selfish and immature child.
...SIGH...Here I was, scared to find out something ugly about God when all I did was discover more of my ugliness and need for Him.
So back to my question, could the earthquake in Haiti, or any other natural disaster for that matter, have been God's judgment? Yes. And I'm finally okay with that answer. But, and this is a BIG BUT, I am still adamantly against stating it as fact. I can't state it as fact. And neither can anyone else. If we do, then we are speaking on behalf of God--something I'm not willing to do and something I should never do unless it is found explicitly in His Word.
How do we know that, without a doubt, it was God's wrath being displayed last week? We don't. Like I said, in His parental hesed, He has done things like this before. But then does that mean that His judgment is in every natural disaster? No. While He always allows things to happen (a necessary responsibility of a sovereign God), it doesn't necessarily mean that He causes them to happen.
My original answer still stands: Maybe.
And I feel good about that not being a cop-out.
Question 1, dealt with. Maybe not the way you wanted me to deal with it, but hey, I told you I wasn't the smartest or best out there. Maybe you need to deal with it more. And if you do, let me know. We'll talk, we'll share, we'll grow.
But for now, I feel a sense of peace even when my questions still continue. And I know that they always will. But I'm starting to be less afraid of them and well, that's a start.
Here's a half-formed thought for you, isn't every act of God a form of judgment? Whether we perceive it as good or bad, blessing or curse, love or wrath? For if He is in control (and I believe we agree that He is) and all that is done is an act of His will and nothing is done capriciously but all things through His perfect and wise consideration--then He has made a determination, a judgment if you will, in executing His sovereignty over His creation.
ReplyDeleteToo often though we mere mortals are distracted by our efforts to apply cause and effect thinking in accordance with what we "know." The problem with that is that God is "judging" with a view of the end from the beginning and His "judgment" is addressing so many things on so many levels that our attempts to explain or contain His actions will always fall short.
That being said--surely pursuing these questions is thinking about whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, and commendable, for God Himself is excellent and worthy of praise.
Hmmm, what is Question #2?
Lauren...I appreciate you asking this question, and going through the hard process of thinking through it.
ReplyDeleteAuntie,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you...to some extent, I think. haha. Sorry, sometimes thinking about this stuff hurts my head and it only makes me realize that God is far wiser than I could ever give Him credit for...
I do agree that everything is under God's control. He is sovereign, He is good, nothing happens apart from His reign. However, I don't know if everything is His "judgment"--whether it's good or bad or whatever. I think that a lot of the time, we bring things upon ourselves. Yes, God knows we're going to do those things but I don't think He wills them for us and therefore I'm not sure it's His judgment, though He allows it.
Hmm..not sure that makes too much sense. I heard someone once say that "God made Hurrican Katrina happen"...which could be true. But God doesn't always make me sin, though He always allows it.
I guess my conclusion is that God judges sometimes, but that He is always in control and it is always a part of His plan for the greater good.
Lauren--
ReplyDeleteI guess at this point in my life the way I look at it is that God's actions are the perfect expression OF His judgment not that His actions ARE judgment. To try to reason through "why" God has done (or allowed if preferred) anything is to reduce Him to someone who reacts to the world. I don't believe that He reacts to the world. Even if I determine that my cause has resulted in His effect, to entertain the notion that God is simply reacting to my sin is rather presumptuous of me. That may be the way we humans work things, but I do not believe the same holds true for a God that knows the number of hairs on my head and the days of my life.
If we take human behavior as an example, we might acknowledge that we go through the day making choice after choice after choice, right? Before we make any important choice we might weigh the pros and cons, consider the rights and wrongs, the good and bad . . . and then we make a judgment/decision/choice and we act on it. But I don't think God works that way, I just don't believe He has to.
I think where we might be diverging in our view is more in the definition of judgment rather than the nature and power of God. I believe we, as individuals and as a global community, receive discipline through God's perfect decisions, but I believe His intentions extend far beyond what we might define as "judgment" for wrongs committed.
Well, I'd be surprised if this makes sense because, as you may be experiencing through this blog, it isn't easy to grasp in the mind and even more difficult to put into words.
A couple of scriptures to consider:
ReplyDeleteJob chapters 1 & 2 Here we see Satan come before God to ask His permission to bring calamity on Job. The Lord says twice, "it is in your hand."
John 9:1-3 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.
Now, Lauren did a good job showing some of the many examples of God exercising judgment on on people through worldly events. I believe these scriptures provide some balance and are examples of God allowing, but not causing events for the sake of judgment. Rather, he is allowing bad things to happen that his work might be displayed before men. Was the calamity that fell on Job's family judgment on them? No. Was the blindness that plagued the man judgment on him or his forefathers? No. Both were opportunities for God's name to be made great.
So, I think that God uses all sorts of disasters for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes He is exercising judgment and other times He is simply fostering an economy for His fame to grow. Our job is not to hold disaster over people as God's judgment and thereby judge them ourselves, but to recognize His work in all things and praise Him for it.
I am with Lauren in saying that we are on shaky ground trying to say that God does what he does as a matter of fact unless it can be clearly found in His Word.
Interestingly enough, I think we're actually saying much the same thing--even though it might not seem like it in this blog-commenting forum. Given the nature of this medium, it may have seemed like my entry was a rebuttal rather than an attempt at discourse . . . an attempt to examine the question together. Being that this is more correspondence than conversation, it is easy to miss the subtle clarifications that are made in person.
ReplyDeleteAnd, so, I will simply suggest that, when engaged in face-to-face, this is the type of interaction that makes up true fellowship and hope that as we grow in the Lord our relationship will be characterized by sharing our hearts for God's heart as brothers and sisters in Christ (I'm including our hubs here). You're an amazing young woman dear niece and it is exciting to be able to journey with you through this blog.
Couldn't have said it any better! I know you weren't making a rebuttal and that we were digging deeper into the question together. And I love that! And WANT that!
ReplyDeleteSteven and I had a class last semester in which we did a lot of "talking about the hard questions" and going back and forth and challenging and re-thinking. It's exhausting sometimes, but totally worth it. I think we would both say we grew so much from it--both with the Lord and with everyone in our class.
Thanks for following with me and for your valid opinions--they are always welcome and very much appreciated!
my only thoughts when i think of huge disasters is that God is extremely gracious, wanting so much for his people to return to him and though we dont know his ways, we trust that what he has allowed is ultimately for our return to him and for his glory.
ReplyDelete