Monday, March 19, 2012

For my Gpa

*This video was played at my grandpa's funeral last Friday.  Even though I wasn't there in person, I still wanted to be part of his memorial service.  I ended up writing this poem for him and then asked one of our friends here (what a blessing they are!) to put this video together for me.

I love you, Gpa.  I think about you every day.  And probably always will.



Before my grandpa was my grandpa
he started out just a boy,
he told me he was a wild one,
his older brother he sure annoyed

But eventually all his energy
got channeled to the court,
where he soon became a super star,
the love of basketball his sport

People always tell me
how athletic he used to be,
they say he was competitive,
a trait surely passed on to me

My grandpa soon became a brave young man
through the internment camp and war,
yet never harboring any bitterness
toward the country he fought for

In the end, God used this time
to make him Chicago-bound,
never knowing that his future wife
was just waiting to be found

Her name was Yuki, a spunky one,
with a boisterous life-filled laugh,
their first date must've gone real well,
for she became his other half

Many looked at them and saw a pair
that seemed quite accidental,
one a crazy social girl,
the other so quiet and gentle

But beyond the surface their love ran deep,
it would carry them through the storms,
a picture of what marriage should be,
a gracious partnership they formed

Not long there after, their family began,
with joy, 3 little ones came
their clan would then become complete
with Carol, Marsha and Wayne

As a newfound father and family man,
my grandpa left his comfort zone
to take a risk and follow his dream
to have a business all his own

I can only imagine the courage this took,
the fear he must've felt within his heart,
yet he walked by faith and worked real hard,
a vending business he did start

But all these things, these stories I've heard,
all happened long before,
and although they make up who he was
to me, he's so much more

To me, he's just my grandpa
where an unexplainable bond was shared,
I think it started when I was young
and I would climb upon his chair

It was there that we would cuddle
and I'd find rest upon his chest,
we'd watch t.v. or have a talk,
just oblivious to the rest

My grandpa was my hero,
always someone I strived to be,
a friendly giant with a heart of gold
who I had never seen be mean

For he was patient, kind and sweet,
the most endearing man I've known,
he supported us in every way
his love so clearly shown

He was involved in all our lives,
constantly helping where he could,
he'd listen and be generous
his promises were good

You could trust in his character,
in his sweet and tender soul,
his quiet, faithful steadiness
has kept our family whole

I love the way he'd make me feel,
I know he loved me so,
and that is why my heart just aches,
why I'm sad to see him go

I know you're in a better place,
You're worshiping Your King,
a part of me delights for you,
yet I feel this painful sting

You see, I've never been more homesick,
more longing to be there,
but it's not because of Thailand,
for it doesn't matter where

The reason why I'm homesick
and it's hard to make it through,
is how long I now must wait
until again I am with you

When I stop to close my eyes
and I see your precious face,
I know that you are truly home
and now it's me that's out of place

Because this earth is quickly fading,
like a mist or morning dew,
with you now gone and me still here
I realize heaven's home with you

But until then, I'll cling to God
because in Christ there is no end,
and I'll trust in His promise that
soon in eternity we'll spend

My grandpa lived a long full life
and I feel blessed beyond all measure,
I had 27 years with him
that I'll forever treasure

Before I moved to Thailand,
my grandpa turned to me to say
in his deep, gentle, loving voice,
"Lauren, I'll miss you every day."

But now it seems the time has come
for me to say it back to him,
"I love you, Gpa.  I'll miss you, Gpa,
until we meet again."

7 comments:

  1. I hardly know you Lauren but I can't stop the tears that are streaming down my face as I watched this. What a BEAUTIFUL poem and tribute to an obviously PRECIOUS Grandfather. Thank-you for sharing this. I feel like I know you just a little bit better... but even more so, I've seen an incredible testimony of God's goodness and the good gifts he gives us in family. Praying He'll fill the void until you see your Gpa again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crying so hard right now! I love you Lauren, I am sure i would have loved your Gpa had I known him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so beautiful. what an honor to his life! thank you for sharing, your heart is beautiful, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was beautiful and so well said. At times like this, how thankful I am for that sure hope of Heaven and seeing and being with our loved ones again. weeping with you and rejoicing for your Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally bawling... you're in my heart, xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was really beautiful! Thank you so much for always sharing your heart....God is going to use that in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO beautiful Lauren.. thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete