Thursday, May 20, 2010

it's just a little thing.

It's just a little thing, it's just a little thing.
But it will make a change, it will make a change.
See His Kingdom come in every small thing done.
Words to one of my favorite songs, The Kingdom, written by a dear friend.

Those lyrics touch my heart every time I listen to them. They're simple words. But simple words with deep meaning and encouragement. It gets me thinking and moving every time.

It's just a little thing, but it will make a change. These are words I regularly need to hear as I often become paralyzed by the task at hand. It's just hard for me to look at the world, its hurting people and overwhelming corruption, and not be discouraged. And because of this, there are many times when I don't want to go to Thailand. It's when I'm reminded of how engraved sex-trafficking is in its culture, when I read that 95% of its people are Buddhist and less than 1% Christian, when I see our missionary friends getting kicked out of the countries they've devoted so much of their lives to, that I ask myself, "what's the use?" It's at those times where the task at hand feels so big, so heavy, so unchangeable.

But then I'm reminded. It's just a little thing, but it will make a change. Maybe going to Thailand is just a little thing. Maybe we won't see the end to sex-trafficking, maybe the statistics won't change, maybe we'll get kicked out. But maybe, just maybe, I'll befriend one prostitute and share with her the unconditional love of her Savior. Maybe one Buddhist family will come to know the Way, the Truth, and the Life through our interactions with them. Maybe we'll leave a lasting, eternal impression on a few people's hearts and souls before we have to leave. Maybe all the little things we do while we're in Thailand will make a change. Even if it is small and seemingly insignificant, it's still an eternal change for the Kingdom. And well, it doesn't get any bigger than that.

For all the pessimists out there that don't yet fully believe in this "little thing" philosophy, here's a real life example. It's a video of 4 children that were forever changed through ordinary people who decided to do just a little thing. Usually I'm not a big proponent of "$1 a day will feed this child" kind of videos, but this one is different.

It's different because I know 3 of the children in the video.

They're dear friends. They're brothers and sisters in Christ. And they're my classmates at Moody.



What amazes me about their stories is how much God worked in their lives through someone back in the States. Their sponsors are ordinary people, like you and me, who just decided to do a little thing. I often wonder if they knew what a big impact they would have.

And what really hits home is seeing that Richmond, Tony & Michelle's lives weren't changed through the money their sponsors gave, but rather through the letters their sponsors wrote. Change is personal. Personal connection is what touches our lives and moves our hearts. It's what changed my 3 friends' lives. And it's what can change others and maybe, in return, even the world.

Writing a letter to a child in Guatemala is just a little thing. There are millions of little things that we can be doing for the Kingdom. But the question is, are we actually taking the time out of our busy schedules to do them? Let's not be paralyzed and overwhelmed by the world, let's just be faithful to the little things and believe God for big changes.
It's just a little thing, it's just a little thing.
But it will make a change, it will make a change.
See His Kingdom come in every small thing done.
*If you want to sponsor a child through Compassion, visit http://www.compassion.com/

1 comment:

  1. thank you for this, lauren. i will always need this reminder. may we be faithful and ready to act on the small things in front of us and those which come to us. this reminded me of chambers' my utmost for his highest april 18th post titled "readiness". http://utmost.org/readiness/

    thanks for being open and exhorting your readers :)

    ReplyDelete