Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Think McFly, Think!!



Okay, so I've definitely had my moments of imagining myself as Biff, knocking profusely on people's heads saying, "Helllooo?? Helllooo?!? Is anybody home? Think McFly, think!"

Do you ever feel like this? Where you think people are acting so foolishly, cowardly or faithlessly that you just want to knock em upside the head?

Maybe it's just me.

But I feel this way a lot when I read the Bible. Maybe it's not a fair judgment since I know how the stories turn out, while the people living and experiencing them don't. But I just can't help myself. Sometimes they just seem so hard-headed.

One particular instance this week stood out.

The Israelites.
I was reading in Exodus. I had spent the past couple of days reading about how the Lord had rescued the Israelites from the oppressive hand of Egypt. It was so cool to see how mightily the Lord worked and saved the people of Israel. It was a triumphant moment, showing God's complete provision for His people.

But that wasn't the thing that hit me. What came afterwards was what really got me.

Maybe I should back up a little further so you can see where I'm coming from--you know, get the whole picture. See if you have the same reaction as me.

Here's the play-by-play.

The Israelites, God's chosen people, had become enslaved to the people of Egypt.
The Egyptians came to dread the Israelites and worked them ruthlessly. They made their lives bitter with hard labor in brick and mortar and with all kinds of work in the fields; in all their hard labor the Egyptians used them ruthlessly. Exodus 1:14

The Israelites cry out to God.
During those many days the king of Egypt died, and the people of Israel groaned because of their slavery and cried out for help. Their cry for rescue from slavery came up to God. Exodus 2:23

God, in his grace and mercy, rescue the people of Israel. In the really cool, mind-blowing, show-stopping way. You know, the story. The famous parting of the Red Sea.
And as the Egyptians fled into it, the Lord threw the Egyptians into the midst of the sea. But the people of Israel walked on dry ground through the sea, the waters being a wall to them on their right hand and on their left. Thus the Lord saved Israel that day from the hand of the Egyptians, and Israel saw the Egyptians dead on the seashore. Exodus 14:27,29-30

The Israelites learn.
Israel saw the great power that the Lord used against the Egyptians, so the people feared the Lord, and they believed in the Lord. Exodus 14:31

And praise God.
The people of Israel sang, "The Lord is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him. Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders? You have led in your steadfast love the people whom you have redeemed." Exodus 15:1,2,11,13

But then, after all of that...

THEY FORGET. (insert my "Hello McFly moment")

As life carries on, and new adversities come along, they somehow forget. They forget how the Lord had previously taken care of them. They forget His power, His sovereignty, His goodness. Just one chapter later, they forget the praises they just sang.

How could they forget? How could they have such little faith after they just saw God part the Red Sea to save them?

Their excuse? They forgot because they were hungry. And they didn't think God was going to provide.
In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. The Israelites said to them, "If only we had died by the LORD's hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death. Exodus 16:2-3"

They really thought that God was going to abandon them--as if He were some evil god, rescuing them and taking them all this way, just to die and starve in the wilderness.

And of course God, patient and loving God, sends them food.

But once more, the people of Israel quickly forget after their stomach's are full. All because, this time, they were thirsty. Again, as if God were some evil god, rescuing them and taking them all this way, then giving them food, just so they could die of thirst in the wilderness.
But the people thirsted there for water, and the people grumbled against Moses and said, "Why did you bring us up out of Egypt, to kills us and our children and our livestock with thirst?" Exodus 17:3

Do you see a pattern here? I mean, doesn't it make you want to yell at the Israelites, "HELLLOOO?? HELLLOOO?? IS ANYBODY HOME?? THINK, O PEOPLE OF ISRAEL, THINK!!" Seriously. It's so obvious. They were so blessed. They had seen the Lord provide for them over, and over, and over again. Why did they doubt so quickly? Why did they forget the many expressions of God's mercy and love towards them? What else did God need to do to get them to lead lives of faith?

Jeez, Israel. You are so hard-headed.

I sit here, smiling as I write this because it's almost funny how hypocritical I am being. For if someone were reading about my life, I am sure they would be thinking the exact same things about me. I sometimes wonder if God ever wants to yell at me like Biff does at McFly.

He definitely should have last night.

There I was. Crying at the dinner table to Steven. Wondering how in the world we were ever going to raise enough support to go to Thailand. I was frustrated. I was scared. I was doubtful.

I was like an Israelite. Grumbling at God.

"But God, I don't want to raise support." "But God, I just can't imagine how you will provide all of this for us." "But God, it's too much. Too much to do and not enough time." "But God, why would people want to invest in us when there are so many other people and ministries to support?"

"But God, I don't want to have to live by faith."

I mean, that's really what it boils down to. I don't want to live by faith and I know that raising support to go to Thailand will require only that. It's something that I literally cannot do on my own. I can't rely on my own productivity, my check lists, my talents, etc. I am forced to rely on God and God alone...for maybe, really, the first time in my life.

It's hard to admit, being just like an Israelite. I wonder if last night God was asking me the same questions I was frustratingly asking the Israelites just a few days before. "HELLLOOO?? HELLLOOO?? IS ANYBODY HOME?? THINK, LAUREN, THINK!!" Seriously. It's so obvious. You have been so blessed. You have seen me provide for you over, and over, and over again. Why do you doubt so quickly? Why do you forget the many expressions of my mercy and love towards you? What else did I need to do to get you to lead a life of faith?

I cringe thinking about it. It's embarrassing to picture myself last night, crying like a baby, seriously doubting God and our calling, after all the Lord has already done for us. I know that God has grown me and brought me so far. I know there are specific times in my life where I can look back and see the hand of God at work. I know that He has called me out for a purpose.

I know all these things, but yet, I still doubted. I still forgot. I still had such little faith.

And to be honest, I am still struggling with these things. But I'm slowly trying to lean more on God. To say to myself, "Think, Lauren, think. Remember all the ways God has worked in your life to get you to this point. He won't leave you now. Trust in His greater plan and be grateful for the growing pains along the way. Have a little faith. And for goodness sake, don't be so hard-headed."

1 comment:

  1. oh lauren thank you sooo much for this! it was perfect timing from the Lord for me to read this!

    so funny, i thought surely Lauren must have written this after reading my email to her, after visually seeing my forgetfulness of the Lord's faithfulness literally written down. i'm pretty self centered to think you'd write a post down in response to that.

    I cannot agree more about our forgetfulness. I forget all the time - i forget what He's taught me and what He's done and who He is even. Oh God thank you for your mercy and grace and forgiveness in our forgetfulness! (Blessed are those who keep his testimonies psalm 119:2a)

    also just learned about how the Lord's name YAHWEH is always closely closely linked to His redemption of His people as well as His consistent presence with His people. YHWH!

    sorry for the novel :)

    ReplyDelete