Maybe it's because I'm Asian. I could never fool anyone into thinking I was Irish like the rest of my friends. In elementary school, I remember wondering why there was never a "Samurai Day" where I could wear a "Kiss me, I'm Japanese!" shirt.
In middle school, I didn't liked Saint Patrick's Day because, not only did I not know who the guy even was, but we didn't even get a day off of school for him. I mean, atleast Casimir Pulaski got us a three day weekend...
And even as I grew up, I still didn't like Saint Patrick's Day. In college, while most loved waking up at 8 am to drink green beer and celebrate the day, I found it extremely sad. I remember one Saint Patty's Day, sitting in speech class where a guy gave an entire speech completely wasted. While it was admittedly (somewhat) impressive, it always bothered me how so many people on campus got so ridiculously drunk that day. I just didn't get it.
And even today, the distaste still stands. But not because I can't wear a cool shirt or because I have to watch people drink themselves into oblivion. I don't like Saint Patrick's Day because its careless and naive celebration seems like a total blasphemous and dishonoring act towards the man most people think is a leprechaun.
Let me explain.
A couple of years ago I actually learned who Saint Patrick was. No, he's not a leprechaun who looks for pots of gold at the end of rainbows. And no, he's not even Irish.
Without getting into a huge history lesson, simply put, Saint Patrick was a hero of the faith. An ordinary man, yet a great missionary used by God in big ways. Born in Britain, but captured and sent to Ireland as a young man, Saint Patrick was enslaved for 6 years. He eventually escaped back to Britain where he grew in His faith and love for the Lord. It was there that he felt God calling him back to Ireland--to bring the good news of the Gospel to the very people whom he had fled. And so, he returned to Ireland and began boldly preaching the Gospel. First to the Royal family, then to the masses. Through God, he and his disciples converted thousands and built churches all over the country. Bottom line: Saint Patrick is the missionary credited with converting Ireland to Christianity.
And look at the way we celebrate his life and mission.
It just seems so wrong.
Since learning about Saint Patrick's story, I have often wondered if he's up in heaven hating the way the world has changed his story. I wonder if he identifies with Jesus--knowing that their day of celebration has just become another commercialized holiday. I wonder if he is disgusted by the way he is remembered.
I told Steven tonight how I'd be so sad if people remembered me wrongly. How I want to be remembered as a woman who feared the Lord, a woman who loved Jesus and His calling, a woman who failed every day but felt the grace of God abundantly and honestly. I told him how I would hate to be remembered any differently. For my children, my grandchildren, my great-grandchildren to not know of my deep love and gratitude to my Savior. Or worst yet, for them to celebrate my life by dishonoring or abandoning their God, my God.
And as I was imagining the heartache, I realized that it probably doesn't matter. That Saint Patrick probably isn't mourning his misrepresented life. Because it's not about how people remember me. Or him. And it's not even how people remember God in my life. Or how many people were saved through his.
It's about how God remembers us.
For He is our Audience of one. And if God can remember my love and saving faith through the sacrifice of His Son, then does anything else really matter? My reputation. My accomplishments. My remembrance. Who cares. The only one who needs to truly know me and celebrate me is my Heavenly Father, the eternal God, the righteous Judge.
I bet when Saint Patrick finally met God face to face on that glorious day, receiving a "Well done, my good and faithful servant" was all he cared about. That day, today, and for all eternity, the Lord our God will remember every good and faithful deed carried out by His servant. And well, that's more than enough. That's all there is.
No comments:
Post a Comment