Wednesday, January 5, 2011

a straight path.

It's been a long time coming.

This departure to Thailand.

Steven and I have been anticipating this moment ever since we started dating 5 years ago.

I remember writing in my journal. Passionately recording my newfound dream of serving overseas someday with a man who loved and feared the Lord. God showed me that Steven would be that man.

I remember dating Steven. Coordinating Perspectives together--being inspired each week by missionary testimonies from all over the world, praying that God would give us our own story to tell. God showed us a realistic picture of life overseas.

I remember quitting teaching. Saying goodbye to the classroom, knowing that my passion was somewhere else . God showed me that He is more steadfast than a steady job.

I remember getting married. Feeling the freedom to move forward with Steven, to start making steps towards our dream. God showed us the importance of growing a solid foundation for our marriage first.

I remember being a student at Moody Bible Institute. Being grounded in Biblical truth and feeling more equipped to point others to Christ. God showed me the importance of His Word.

I remember Steven working such long hours at McHugh. Having frustrating moments at times, but learning and growing in many different areas. God showed him how to be a better leader and team player.

I remember almost joining the Traveling Team. Being so excited to be a part of a ministry that changed our lives, but then hearing a distinct "no" from God. God showed us how to listen to His voice and not our own.

I remember joining Pioneers. Attending their orientation in Florida, being so impressed with the organization and begging the Lord to lead us to the right team to serve on. God showed us how to be patient through Habakkuk 2:3. "For still the vision awaits its appointed time, it hastens to the end - it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay."

I remember almost going to Kazakhstan. Feeling drawn the the team leader and the work being done, but dreading living somewhere so dang cold. God showed us that He could call us anywhere and we must be willing.

I remember December 30th, the phone call from Hatley. Asking our family and close friends the week before to be praying for our decision to go to Kazakhstan, and then getting this call out of nowhere. God showed us the power of prayer.

I remember committing to Thailand. Being so filled with excitement and joy, praising God for giving us such a perfect opportunity to serve Him with our gifts and passions. God showed us that He is good and His ways are higher than ours.

I remember raising support. Losing sleep, worrying about all we had to do and all that God had to provide. God showed me that He is the owner of the cattle on a thousand hills and He lacks no supply.

I remember Steven losing his job. At the perfect time, with the perfect opportunity to work for his dad on the farm. The perfect transition. God showed us that His timing and plans are flawless.

I remember moving to Roanoke. Remembering the times in college where I would drive past small towns and wonder, "Who really still lives there? And why?". God showed me His sense of humor.

I remember going to training in Colorado for 6 weeks. Not knowing it would one of the richest times in our lives, learning so much about ourselves and our marriage. God showed us that none of this is possible without Him.

I remember writing up our wills, packing our suitcases, applying for life insurance, selling our cars, filling out paperwork. Thinking, "This whole going overseas thing, it isn't as glamorous as I thought it would be." God showed us that it's not about our glory, but all about His.

I remember the nights I've spent crying on Steven's shoulder. Either out of frustration, joy, or just sheer exhaustion. Going through all these experiences, the road always felt crooked, crazy and a little out of control. With each new step, the call to walk by faith was so difficult because I could never see what was beyond the next curve. As someone who likes to plan out every detail of her life, the rollercoaster that we've been on has challenged me to the core. However, God has shown me this: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight" Proverbs 3:5.

The truth is, while in the midst of the journey, the path does seem up and down and everywhere in between. But as I reflect back on all that has led us to this point, the path is actually quite straight. God had purposed each of those situations. And it was all part of His plan from the beginning of time.

This has been so encouraging to me. Because honestly, the journey has just begun. As I look ahead into 2011, I can't even imagine all that is to come. I'm sure more curve balls will come our way, but I starting to realize that they are only curve balls to me. God's plan is straight and purposed. Nothing will ever catch Him off-guard nor be a waste of His time.

I am so thankful to be on this straight path, right in the center of God's will. And even though we are becoming sad with having to say our goodbyes, we have a deep sense of peace that there is no place we would rather be. Praise be to God who is always with us and always for us.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Lauren for so eloquently describing the path that has brought you to this time of leaving here and seeing what God has planned all along for you and Steven. I will miss you beyond measure but am comforted knowing that God will be with you as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise to be God, indeed! Thanks for sharing your heart so thoughtfully and encouraging others (me included!) in this blog, girl. I'm so incredibly encouraged by your commitment to do what the Lord asks, even when it has felt out of control at times. I think we're pretty similar, so your walk definitely helps me to see the ways the Lord is in control in my life as well. ;)
    love you and I'll be PRAYING for you guys like CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So well written Lauren. This will PREACH! (really, if you have to speak to a group, say this)

    Here I am a year and a half ahead of you which is not much. But, from here I can say that it's hard, gets harder, then becomes normal. Welcome to this life. It's sooo not glamorous or fabulous. But it's so, so rich. Expect great things from God as you attempt great things for God.

    And I agree, it does seem like it took twists and turns for you guys to get here, but looking back it looks so straight. It makes so much sense. We feel the same way about our insane journey. It's unconventional and full of curve balls, but hindsight is always clear--God is in control, he is guiding each step.

    Love you.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little lovely daughter is truly a God loving, God seeking woman.

    Thank you Lauren....do good works and follow his will!

    Love you and Steven.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete